To provide a thorough understanding of good food preparation, and cookery practice onboard ocean going yachts. Qualify for work as a crew cook or yacht host.
When you work afloat, good food and the way it’s presented play a big part in the day for all onboard. Essential Marine Cookery will introduce you to the fundamentals of cooking on yachts and provide you with a repertoire of delicious meals to impress. The course will improve your confidence and enjoyment when catering for guests and crew, as well as adding real value to your professional yachting CV. Regardless of your current culinary skills, the course is suitable for anyone who enjoys food. Whether you can cook for a banquet or have the ability to burn water, this programme will prepare you for essential catering tasks onboard and start you on the road to culinary excellence afloat.
Pre-requisite experience: none
Duration: 6 Days
- Diversify your skills set onboard, widening the job opportunities available to you.
- Understand the standards required for catering on yachts.
- Prepare a 3 course meal on a yacht confidently and with flair.
- Learn how to menu plan and provision for long passages.
- Develop your knowledge of essential food hygiene and gain an industry recognised qualification.
- Food provisioning, preparation and storage on yachts.
- Identification of meats and fish for provisioning.
- Learn how to make a substantial selection of seafood dishes.
- Ideas for simple but mouth watering desserts, with practical sessions.
- Learn how to cook steaks to different requirements, with sauces to accompany.
- Menu planning and provisioning – stowage/packing hazards/international regulations/dietary requirements.
- Provisioning / cooking to budget.
- Introduction to local produce.
- Essential food hygiene, food prep and handling.
- Practical sessions making canapés and salads.
- Other useful skills – bread making, carving a joint, jointing a chicken, barbeque techniques, galley equipment identification.
- Group mini project preparing and cooking breakfast and dinner onboard a yacht.